Baked bulgur with apple, honey and cinnamon. Tasty breakfast, vegan food.
Yield: Serves 2
- 1 cup medium (#2) bulgur
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (1 percent, 2 percent, or whole, or a non-dairy variety; oat or almond!)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter (optional)
- 2 to 3teaspoons honey (more to taste)
- 1o ounce freshly cut apples, chopped
- ½ cup blueberries (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans or cashews (optional)
- Cook the bulgur. In a medium saucepan, combine bulgur, milk, and water. Bring to a boil and stir. Remove the saucepan from heat, cover and leave it to sit until the bulgur absorbs all of the liquid. Once all the liquid has absorbed, stir in the remaining coconut milk, cinnamon, and honey.
Add the apples and stir, only cooking slightly. Stir in the butter, honey and apricots or blueberries if desired
and continue to stir until the blueberries begin to pop and bleed into the cereal. Serve sprinkled with toasted pecans or cashews if desired.
- Advance preparation: The bulgur can be cooked/soaked up to 3 days ahead and kept in the refrigerator.
- The night before, place the bulgur in a medium saucepan with ¼ teaspoon) salt to taste. Bring 1 cup water to a boil and pour over the bulgur. Cover with the lid and leave overnight.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.