Three-Grain Pilaf (for Food Service)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 qt. plus 3/4 cup #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1 qt. plus 1/4 cup white rice (dry**)
- 3-1/4 cups pearl barley (dry)
- 1 pt. carrots (coarsely grated)
- 2-1/4 cups onion (chopped)
- 7 qts. hot water or broth
- 12 cubes bouillon*
- 2 tbsp. salt*
- 2-2/3 cups almonds (sliced and toasted)
- Use pan spray or oil to grease two 12 x 20 x 2 inch pans. Add oil and heat in 425 oven. Stir in the grains and saute about 7 minutes, stirring two or three times. Bubbles may appear – should smell like grains are roasting.
- Stir in the vegetables and hot water (3-1/2 qt./pan) with bouillon dissolved or broth and salt. Cover pans tightly and reduce oven temperature to 350. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until moisture is absorbed. Remove pans from oven and let stand a minimum of 5 minutes. Fluff, if desired and serve, garnished with toasted almonds.
* salt is not needed if bouillon is used ** do not substitute minute or brown rice