Tabbouleh Chicken Curry Salad
- 1 cup Sunnyland #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1 tsp. tsp. curry powder
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth – low salt
- 4-6 chicken breasts (cooked, cubed or shredded)
- 1 cup chicken broth – low salt
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 cup celery (thinly sliced)
- 3/4 cup carrots (slivered)
- 1/2 cup mixed raisins (natural and golden)
- 2-3 figs (chopped)
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup soy-based mayonnaise or regular mayonnaise
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. curry powder (to taste)
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
- 2-3 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Exotic and mellow curry flavors this recipe, which includes crunchy celery, sweet raisins and figs. Enjoy the noble flavors as they provide balance to this recipe.
- Toast the bulgur wheat lightly with 1 tsp. curry powder in a nonstick skillet (stirring constantly until golden brown). Pour bulgur wheat into hot chicken broth (very slowly), stir only once; cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let liquid absorb until bulgur wheat is al dente. Remove cover and let cool.
- Cook chicken in 1 cup of chicken broth with 2 tsp. of curry powder in large sauce pan; bring to a boil, let simmer for 30 minutes; let cool then cube or shred.
- Mix dressing ingredients together.
- Combine bulgur wheat, chicken, celery, carrots, raisins, figs and parsley together in a large bowl; add dressing and mix gently; cover and chill. Garnish with sliced cabbage.
- Let the flavors marry! Make 6 hours before or 1 day ahead and refrigerate.
Per Serving Nutrition Info: 400 cal; (150 from fat); 16g total fat; (3g sat fat); 37g prot; 27g total carb; 100mg chol; 470mg sod; 6g fiber; 11g sugar
Nutritional analysis for these recipes may vary slightly depending on choice of ingredients.