Pesto and Bulgur Cranberry Beans
- 3/4 cup dried cranberry beans
- 1-1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup #3 coarse bulgur
- 3/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion (sliced)
- 1/3 cup pesto
- Rinse beans. Bring beans and 5 cups of water to a boil and then reduce beans to a simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and have it sit for an hour. After the hour is up, drain the beans and rinse again.
- Return the beans to the same sauce pan and cover with 5 cups of new water. Bring to a boil again and then reduce heat to simmer and let it simmer, covered, for about an hour and a half.
- In a separate sauce pan bring the chicken broth to a boil and then add the bulgur. Reduce to a simmer and let it sit, covered, for about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove the bulgur from the heat and stir in the cooked beans, peppers, onion and pesto.