Oatmeal Bulgur Wheat Bread
Servings 3 loaves
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2 1/2 cups warm water about 110¡
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps. light molasses
- 1/2 cup #2 medium or #3 coarse bulgur
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
- In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water and let stand about 5 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of the all-purposeflour; beat until well moistened. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until bubbly, at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours. To this sponge add the bulgur wheat, rolled oats, wheat germ, sugar, molasses, and salt. To mix with a dough hook, stir until well combined, then add 2 1/2 cups more all-purpose flour and beat on high speed for about 8 minutes, then add more flour, 2 tablespoons at a time, until dough pulls cleanly from side of bowl. cover bowl with plastic wrap. To mix by hand, beat sponge mixture until stretchy and well moistened. Stir in 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough. Scrape dough out onto a floured board and knead, adding as little flour as possible to prevent sticking until dough is smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Either way let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch down dough and let rest for 10 minutes; cover with plastic wrap. Divide dough into 3 equal portions; shape each into a loaf and place in a well-greased 4 by 8 inch loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled about 45 minutes. Bake, uncovered, in a 375° oven until loaves are browned and sound hollow when lightly tapped, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks and let cool completely.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.