- 1 1/2 cups Sunnyland #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 2 cups boiling chicken broth - low salt
- 1 large ripe tomato diced
- 1/2 English cucumber diced (cut cucumber in half, spoon out seeds)
- 1/2 cup diced green onions whites and greens
- 15-1/2 oz. can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup currants soaked in warm water for 10min. and drain
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic mined
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few pinches dried cayenne pepper
- A few pinches ground cinnamon
- Cool cucumber, earthy garbanzos, sweet cranberries and whole grain bulgur wheat are joined with other ingredients in this tabbouleh to tantalize the taste buds.
- Toast the bulgur wheat lightly in a nonstick skillet over medium heat (stirring constantly until golden brown). Pour bulgur wheat into hot chicken broth (very slowly), stir only once, cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let liquid absorb until the bulgur wheat is a dente. Remove cover and let cool before combining all the above ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour over vegetables; toss until well coated then add toasted pine nuts; cover and chill.
- Let the flavors marry! Make 6 hours before or 1 day ahead and refrigerate.
Per Serving Nutrition Info: 280 cal; (90 from fat); 10g total fat; (2g sat fat); 9g prot; 40g total carb; 5mg chol; 480mg sod; 8g fiber; 13g sugar Nutritional analysis for these recipes may vary slightly depending on choice of ingredients.