Marinara Grilled Chicken with Bulgur and Zucchini Noodles
This hot marinara makes a great sauce for both the bulgur and chicken.
- 2 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces), ends trimmed, or 6 1/2 ounces store-bought zucchini spirals
- 1 cup #3 coarse bulgur wheat – Buy Bulgur Wheat on Amazon
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 (4 ounces each) trimmed, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free garlic and herb bread seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce heated
- 2 tablespoons (about 1/2 ounce) grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
Place bulgur in large ceramic bowl, top with boiling water. Cover with lid or plate and let stand for 20 minutes.
Preheat a grill to medium.
Cut the zucchini into lengths to create “spaghetti” noodles with the spiralizer. Set aside on paper towels.
Rub the chicken breasts evenly all over with the olive oil, then with the seasoning, salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the grill and turn the heat to low and grill the chicken until it is no longer pink inside, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
Remove the chicken from the grill and tent it, letting it rest for 3 minutes. Transfer it to a cutting board and cut the breasts diagonally to create half-inch strips.
Meanwhile, place a small nonstick frying pan over medium heat. When it’s hot, remove it from the burner just long enough to lightly mist it with the olive oil spray. Toss the zucchini in the pan just long enough to warm it; do not cook it or it will get mushy. Remove any excess moisture and toss the warmed zucchini in the hot marinara.
Divide the bulgur evenly between two serving plates then top each with half of the zucchini and marinara sauce. Place the chicken breast on top and season with the cheese and additional pepper, if desired, and enjoy immediately.