For Lentil-bulgur pilaf:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion – chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped, about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup brown lentils (rinsed and picked over)
- 1-3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 medium tomato ( seeded and diced or 1 cup canned diced tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For Tortillas and garnishes:
- 8 flour tortillas (size of tortillas = 7.5 inches, soft taco size)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups grated carrots (about 3 to 4 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves – washed and dried
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- TO MAKE PILAF:
- In large saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until softened, stirring often. Add jalapeno, garlic and cumin; cook 30 seconds, stirring. Add lentils and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 deg F.
- After lentils have simmered 20 minutes, stir in bulgur and tomato; simmer, covered, about 20 minutes longer or until lentils and bulgur are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- While bulgur is simmering, warm tortillas and prepare garnishes: wrap tortillas in a sheet of aluminum foil. Place packet in oven and heat for aboutg 20 minutes. In small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add carrots and toss to coat.
- When pilaf is ready, stir in parsley, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- To serve, spoon a scant 1/2 cup lentil pilaf down center of a warm tortilla. Top with carrot salad, lettuce, cilantro and a dollop of yogurt. Fold tortilla over filling and roll up.
Recipe from: Patsy Jamieson, Today’s Health & Wellness magazine, “Lentil Logic,” issue March/April 2002 (p.48)