Italian Bulgur Meatballs with Spaghetti Squash – Microwave
- 1 medium medium spaghetti squash (2-1/4 lbs.)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup #3 coarse Bulgur Wheat
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product (thawed)
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning (crushed)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast or extra-lean ground beef (93% lean or higher)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with Italian herbs (undrained)
- 2 tbsp. small fresh basil or cilantro leaves or thinly sliced green onion
- Halve squash crosswise, remove seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a microwave-safe 2-qt. rectangular baking dish. Add 1/3 cup of the water. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 13 to 15 minutes or until squash is tender when pierced with a fork. (If your microwave does not have a turntable, turn squash once for even cooking.) Drain squash; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the remaining 1/3 cup water and the bulgur. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Do not drain; cool slightly.
- Stir egg product, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper into bulgur mixture. Add ground turkey or beef; mix well. Shape mixture into 24 meatballs. Place in a microwave-safe 2-qt. square baking dish. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, rearranging once; drain off liquid.
- Pour tomatoes over meatballs. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 1 to 3 minutes more or until meatballs are no longer pink in centers.
- Rake the squash pulp out of the shell and separate the squash pulp into strands. Serve meatballs over spaghetti squash. Sprinkle with basil, cilantro or green onion.
Microwave times may vary depending on your style of wattage.