Houston's Bulgur and Couscous
Servings 4 cups
- 3 cups water divided
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup #3 coarse Bulgur Wheat
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped radishes
- 3 tbsp. finely cut green onions
- 3 tbsp. minced Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 12 very small very small tomatoes such as Sweet 100s
- 1/3 cup whole roasted skin-on almonds
- approx. 1/2 cup whole fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice preferably Meyer lemon, more to taste
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil more to taste
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups water to a simmer. Add the couscous and cook gently until the water is absorbed, approximately 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer the couscous to a baking sheet to cool.
- In another small saucepan, bring the remaining 1-1/2 cups water to a simmer. Add the bulgur wheat and cook gently until the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a baking sheet to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled couscous and bulgur wheat. Stir in the radishes, green onions, parsley, raisins, tomatoes, almonds and mint leaves. Add the lemon juice and olive oil, stirring to coat. Season with 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Taste and adjust the flavorings and seasonings as desired.