Greek Island Tabbouleh
- 1 cup Sunnyland #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth - low salt
- 2 cups mixed colored cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups seedless English cucumber (cut cucumbers in half spoon out seeds)-cube small
- 1/2 cup red onion - diced
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1-1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese - reduced fat
- 1/3 cup mint - chopped fine
- 1/2 cup parsley - chopped
- 13-3/4 oz. (net wt.) can quartered artichoke hearts drained and chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 fresh lemon squeezed
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- The Greeks and Middle Easterners have shared the Mediterranean since the dawn of time. It is only fitting that a recipe reflects that marriage of cultures. Enjoy this recipe with a bottle of Greek wine and dream of the Elesian winds of the Eastern Mediterranean blowing in your hair.
- Toast the bulgur wheat lightly in a nonstick skillet over medium heat (stirring constantly until golden brown). Pour bulgur wheat into hot chicken broth (very slowly), stir only once; cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let liquid absorb until bulgur wheat is al dente. Remove cover and let cool before combining all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pour over vegetables; toss until well coated.
- Add the feta cheese and olives; cover and chill.
- Let the flavors marry! Make 6 hours before or 1 day ahead and refrigerate.
- Could be served with romaine lettuce under the salad.
Per Serving Nutrition Info: 230 cal; (100 from fat); 11g total fat;(2.5g sat fat); 9g prot; 26g total carb; 10mg chol; 690mg sod; 6g fiber; 2g sugar Nutritional analysis for these recipes may vary slightly depending on choice of ingredients.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.