Greek Bulgur and Spinach Skillet Meal
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 oz feta cheese crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 medium medium tomatoes cut into wedge
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the boiling water and bulgur. Set aside for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the spinach according to package directions. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach, oregano, lemon peel, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Drain the bulgur and fluff it with a fork. Stir the bulgur into the spinach mixture; mix well. Stir in the feta. Garnish with the tomato wedges.
Per Serving (recipe made using 1/4 tsp. salt and water instead of vegetable broth): Calories: 240; Total Fat: 9 grams; Saturated Fat: 4 grams; Fiber: 9 grams; Sodium: 430 mg; Cholesterol: 20 mg; Carbohydrate: 35 grams; Protein: 10 grams Adapted from NUTRITION ACTION HEALTHLETTER, September 2000