Grano and Chickpea Soup with Parmesan-Herb Topping
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 cup Grano or pearled wheat
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 (15 1/2 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1/2 (2 oz.) cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and 2 garlic cloves; saute 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Stir in tomato paste. Add wine; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, Grano, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add 1 tsp. basil, chickpeas and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Combine cheese, parsley, 2 Tbsp. basil and 1 garlic clove. Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls. Drizzle each serving with 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, top each with about 2 Tbsp. cheese mixture.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.