Chili Beans Ranchero with Bulgur
- 1 lb. dried kidney beans soaked overnight
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 sweet red pepper diced
- 2 small chili peppers seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1-1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-5 cups cooked #3 coarse bulgur
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
- Drain the beans and place in 4-quart pot. Add the water. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Turn the heat to low and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the tomato sauce, scallions, celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes, red peppers, chili peppers, parsley, garlic, chili powder, paprika, oregano, marjoram, cumin, ground red pepper and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Discard the bay leaves.
- Serve over the bulgur. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Nutrition facts (per serving): 323 calories, 3 mg cholesterol, 2.7 g fat, 76 mg sodium. Adapted from Women.com recipe.