- 3 cups water
- 1 cup #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 3 cups boneless, skinless chicken breast (cooked and cubed)
- 1 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 cup scallions (chopped)
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add bulgur and remove from heat. Let stand until most of the water is absorbed, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain bulgur well, squeezing out excess moisture. Transfer to a bowl. Add chicken, parlsey, scallions and currants.
- In a small bowl, whisk orange-juice concentrate, lemon juice, oil, cumin and cayenne until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with bulgur mixture. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve.
- For a quick meal, serve with tomato wedges and toasted pita bread.
Nutrition facts (per serving): 243 calories, 46 mg cholesterol, 4 g fat, 65 mg sodium. Adapted from Tavolo, Inc. recipe.