Caprese-Style Bulgur Wheat Salad with Chicken
- 1 cup #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1 cup chicken broth warmed
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves mashed into a paste
- 1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. black pepper freshly ground
- 3 large large tomatoes diced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil julienned
- 10 oz. chicken breast cooked and diced
- 4-1/2 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- Put bulgur wheat in a medium size bowl and pour heated chicken broth over it. Mix well and allow to sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes. This will soften the wheat but still leave it al dente, or with a bite. When bulgur wheat has reached a desired tenderness, add the red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, dijon mustard, olive oil and pepper and mix thoroughly. Taste mixture for seasoning and adjust slightly if needed.
- Add tomatoes, basil, chicken and mozzarella and combine thoroughly. Taste for seasoning once again and adjust as needed. Some find that recipe might need a touch more acid and salt at this point, depending upon how acidic your tomatoes were and how your cooked chicken was seasoned. Allow to sit for 10 minutes at room temperature to let the flavors combine. Serve on bed of chopped romaine lettuce dressed with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and vinegar, if desired.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.