Cannellini Beans with Tomatoes, Bulgur and Arugula
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 3 cups cooked cannellini or other white beans (plus 1 cup cooking liquid (see note))
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (including juice; canned are fine (see note))
- 1/2 cup #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 dried red chili (or 1 tsp. red pepper flakes)
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary (minced)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups arugula or other tender green
- Put oil in large pot over medium heat; when oil is hot, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5 minutes. Add beans with their liquid, tomatoes, bulgur, chili and rosemary and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, over medium-low heat, until tomatoes have broken up and flavors begin to blend, about 12 minutes, adding water to make it as soupy as you like.
- Add arugula and continue to cook, just until it wilts. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve.
Cooked beans can be frozen for months – store in water to cover in a covered container, leaving expansion room. Fresh tomatoes can be frozen in a heavy plastic bag after coring and quartering; use within a few months.