California Bulgur Salad with Kiwi Fruit and Lemon Mint Dressing
- 1 cup #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup diagonally sliced green onions
- Lemon Mint Dressing see below
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 to 3 about 3 to 3-1/2 oz. each California kiwifruit pared and sliced
- 1 cooked 10 to 12 oz. chicken breast boned, skinned and sliced or cooked whitefish, cut into serving-sized pieces., 10-12 oz.
- Versatile Bulgur Salad can be served with light meat, such as chicken or fish and can be eaten alone or as a side dish.
- Saute bulgur and mushrooms in butter until golden; add chicken broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Cool. Toss with green onions and 1/4 cup Lemon Mint Dressing. Arrange bulgur, cabbage and kiwifruit on plates with sliced chicken or fish; drizzle with remaining Lemon Mint Dressing.
- Lemon Mint Dressing: Combine 6 Tbsp. lemon juice, 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil and 4 tsp. honey with 2 tsp. each grated lemon peel and fresh minced mint leaves; mix well. Makes about 1/2 cup.
- Note: One tsp. dried crushed mint can be substituted.