Bulgur with Ginger and Orange
- 2 oranges
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup #3 coarse bulgur
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
- Zest 1 orange; reserve the zest. Juice both oranges. If necessary, add enough water to the juice to measure 1-1/2 cups total.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bulgur and stir to coat. Add the orange juice, brown sugar and salt; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the bulgur is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast almonds in a small dry skillet over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until light golden and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add scallions, soy sauce and the reserved orange zest to the bulgur; mix gently and fluff with a fork. Serve sprinkled with the almonds.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories 234kcal Carbohydrates 38g Dietary Fiber 8g Fat 5g Saturated Fat 1g Protein 7g
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.