Bulgur Stuffed Zucchini
- 4 medium-sized zucchini 7 oz. each
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lb. ground chicken
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup #2 medium or #3 coarse bulgur
- 3/4 cup shredded Asiago or Swiss cheese
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat oven to 400. Cut zucchini in half length-wise. With melon baller or small spoon, carefully scoop out flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell all around. Finely chop 1 cup of the zucchini pulp. Place zucchini shells, hollow side down, in two 11 x 7 glass baking dishes. Add 1/2 cup water to each and cover with plastic wrap, venting a corner. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove from microwaveand carefully drain off water. Flip over zucchini shells onto a large baking pan, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. of salt.
- Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped red pepper, onion, garlic and zucchini pulp and cook 5 minutes, until softened. Add ground chicken; cook 3 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, the oregano and pepper. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add bulgur. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheese, then spoon filling into zucchini shells. Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through.