Bulgur Salad with Arugula, Zucchini and Pine Nuts
- 1 cup #3 coarse Bulgur Wheat
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 lb. raw zucchini
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups torn arugula leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Toast the bulgur in a skillet over medium heat until it smells nutty, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the water and let stand for 1 hour to soften, stirring occasionally. (The dish can be prepared to this point a day ahead and refrigerated tightly covered; bring to cool room temperature before serving.)
- Cut the zucchini in quarters lengthwise and then in half-inch cross-wise pieces. Place them in a strainer or colander and sprinkle generously with salt. Toss to distribute the salt and set aside for 30 minutes, placing the strainer over a bowl to collect the water that is drawn out.
- Fluff the bulgur with a fork and place it in a large mixing bowl along with the red onion. Rinse the zucchini well, pat dry with a kitchen towel and add it to the red onion and bulgur. (The dish can be prepared to this point up to 4 hours in advance and refrigerated tightly covered.)
- When ready to serve, stir in the lemon juice and olive oil and season to taste with salt, more lemon juice or olive oil and black pepper as needed. Fold in the arugula leaves and transfer the mixture to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over top and serve. Makes about 3-1/2 cups of salad.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.