Bulgur Risotto with Spinach and Bacon
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups #3 coarse bulgur
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 lb. sliced bacon chopped
- 12 cups baby spinach 8 oz., trimmed
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook onion in oil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add bulgur, broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until bulgur is tender and creamy - like risotto - about 25 minutes.
- While bulgur is simmering, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, stirring, until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Stir spinach into bulgur until wilted, then stir in cheese, half the bacon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the 'risotto' sprinkled with remaining bacon.