Bulgur-Rice Pilaf with Green Beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 14-1/2 oz can (1-3/4 cups) vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 2/3 cup #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 9- oz package frozen cut or French-cut green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- spiral-cut or shredded carrot ((optional))
- In a large saucepan cook onion in hot oil about 5 minutes or until onion is almost tender. Carefully add broth, rice, bulgur, and frozen beans. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until rice, bulgur, and beans are tender. Stir in lemon peel. Sprinkle cheese and almonds over rice mixture. If desired, garnish with carrot.
Nutrition facts (per serving): 229 calories, 34 g carbohydrates, 10 mg cholesterol, 8 g fat, 534 mg sodium. Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens recipe.