Bulgur Pilaf with Lentils
- 4 cups chicken or beef broth
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup lentils (washed and drained)
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup #3 coarse bulgur
- 2 medium onions (sliced lengthwise)
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the broth and lentils and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to moderate and cook, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add the bulgur and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the bulgur is tender. If the liquid is absorbed before the bulgur is done, add a little more hot broth. Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the onions and sauté until golden brown, stirring frequently. When the pilaf is done, add the onions with the butter and mix well. Cover and let stand in a warm place 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with cucumber and tomato salad.