Bulgur Lentil Loaf
Servings 1 loaf
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup #1 fine bulgur wheat uncooked
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 medium medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. dried tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- Cook lentils and bay leaf in pot with 6 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer until lentils are soft and water has been absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Combine bulgur and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer lentils to a large mixing bowl. Add bulgur and remaining ingredients, except tomato paste. Mix well with your hands until thoroughly combined. Pat mixture into a 9" loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes until firm but not dry. During last minutes of baking, brush top with tomato paste or sauce. Let cool for 15 minutes; cut into slices and serve warm.