Try this fresh bulgur and green bean salad from Katie Workman at your next summer bbq. Most of the work can be done ahead or days earlier.
You can buy bulgur wheat here on Amazon
- 1½ pounds green beans
- 2 small oranges (Clementines or Cuties are great)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon coarse Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked #2 medium bulgur wheat (#1 or #3 works well too)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the beans and cook for 3 minutes until they start to become tender. Drain the beans in a colander and run cold water over them to stop the cooking and preserve the color.
2. Peel and separate segments of the oranges. Cut each segment in half crosswise.
3. Cut the cooled beans in half cross wise.
4. In a small bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, shallots, mustard, thyme and salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
5. Place the bulgur wheat, green beans and orange segments in a large bowl and drizzle over the dressing. Toss to combine thoroughly. Add the feta and toss again gently to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
The beans and bulgur can be cooked and tossed with the dressing up to 2 days ahead of time. Add the oranges and the feta just before serving.