Bulgur Fruit Pancakes
Servings 12 pancakes
- 1/4 cup #1 fine or #2 medium bulgur
- 1-1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon ground optional
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- Desired fruit see options
- margarine or butter optional
- Maple- or fruit-flavored syrup optional
- In a saucepan cook 1/4 cup bulgur in 1/2 cup water for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together bulgur, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon (if desired), and salt.
- In another mixing bowl use a fork to beat egg slightly; stir in milk and cooking oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once; stir just untill blended but still slightly lumpy. Stir in desired fruit.
- For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or skillet. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and edges are slightly dry. Turn; cook till golden. Serve with margarine and syrup.
- Fruit options: Stir one of the following fruits into the pancake batter: 1/2 cup chopped fresh apples, apricots, peaches, nectarines, or pears; 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries; 1/3 cup chopped fresh cranberries; or 1/4 cup chopped dried apples, pears, apricots, raisins, currants, dates, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, or mixed fruit.
- Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens recipe.