Bulgur and Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Servings 4 burgers
For Veggie Burgers:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil plus additional for brushing
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 cup #2 medium or #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 14 oz. can black beans rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1-1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro minced
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 whole wheat hamburger rolls
For Lime-Cilantro Aioli:
- 1/4 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat; saute onion until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add bulgur to pan along with 1 cup of water or broth. Cover and simmer on low until water is absorbed, about 15-18 minutes. Put cooked bulgur in a large mixing bowl with remaining ingredients and mix well. Form into 4 patties, about 1/2 cup of mixture per patty. Chill at least 20 minutes.
- While patties chill, prepare aioli by pulsing all ingredients in a blender or food processor until blended. Chill until ready to use. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. oil. When hot, drop in patties and cook until golden, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve on whole wheat rolls with Lime-Cilantro Aioli and desired toppings (lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado).
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.