Brown Rice and Bulgur Salad
- 1/3 cup uncooked #3 coarse or #4 extra coarse Bulgur Wheat
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup uncooked green onion
- 1-2 medium sweet peppers (chopped)
- 4 tsp. mint leaves (fresh and minced)
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and stir in bulgur, rice and 1/4 of the salt. Cover your pot, reduce the heat and let it cook until tender; about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside covered for 5 minutes. This allows for the remaining water to be absorbed. Uncover and let it sit to cool. Combine the green onions, peppers and mint. Add to the cooled bulgur and stir well.
- In another bowl, combine lemon juice, broth, oil, pepper and the remaining salt. Stir really well and pour over salad. Give the salad a good mix and sprinkle the pine nuts on top just before serving for presentation.