Beef Stuffed Peppers
Servings 8 People
- 2 cans chicken broth 14-1/2 oz.
- 1-1/2 cups #3 coarse Bulgur Wheat
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach thawed/squeezed dry, 10 oz.
- 1/2 cup fresh dill chopped & loosely packed
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes 28 oz.
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut 3/4-inch slice from top of each pepper, reserve tops including stems. Remove seeds and ribs. Cut a thin slice off the bottom so the peppers will stand upright. Place 4 peppers and their lids (separate) in a microwave safe 8×8 dish. Cook on high, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Using tongs, remove tops and return the peppers to the microwave. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes on high. Using tongs remove peppers and invert them onto double thick paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining four peppers and tops.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine chicken broth and bulgur wheat. Cook uncovered on high for 12-15 minutes or until bulgur wheat is tender but still a little chewy. There should be a little broth left. While bulgur wheat is cooking, heat oil in a deep 12″ skillet over medium heat until hot. Saute onion and garlic until onion begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Stir frequently to keep the garlic from burning. Remove 1/4 cup of the onions and set aside. Add beef to skillet, cook until beef is no longer pink and break up while cooking. Remove beef and onions from heat. Stir in bulgur, spinach, dill, 1 cup crushed tomatoes and 3/4 cup of feta. Fill each pepper with a generous cup of stuffing. Sprinkle with remaining feta cheese and place tops on peppers. Using the same skillet wiped clean with a paper towel, add remaining tomatoes, reserved onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Divide the sauce between two 2-qt. shallow dishes (8×8″ glass baking dishes). Place 4 stuffed peppers in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake 35 minutes or until peppers and contents are heated through. Option: Bake one for tonights meal and freeze for another meal.*
* To reheat frozen dish, let dish thaw in refrigerator overnight. Loosen foil and place in preheated 350 oven for 1 hour, uncover and continue heating until hot and bubbly (up to 45 minutes).