Apricot Bulgur Pudding Cake
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely slivered orange zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup #2 medium or #3 coarse bulgur
- 2 large eggs separated
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pistachios preferably salted
- Combine apricots, sugar, orange zest, orange juice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apricots are very tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in bulgur and increase heat to high. Return to a boil; reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bulgur is tender, about 20 minutes. (The mixture will be the consistency of cooked oatmeal.) Remove from the heat and let cool, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 350ºF.
- Whisk egg yolks and milk in a large bowl until well combined. Slowly whisk in the bulgur mixture.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into the bulgur mixture using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the batter to an 8-inch-square baking dish. Push brown sugar through a sieve evenly over the batter. Place the baking dish in a roasting pan and transfer to the oven. Pour very hot tap water into the roasting pan until it comes about halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake until the cake is puffed and golden, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Carefully remove the baking dish from the hot water, transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature before serving. Top each serving with some Custard Sauce and a sprinkling of pistachios.
- Top with a favorite custard sauce and enjoy!