A Flavorful Grain Salad with Lemon and Fresh Vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups medium coarse #3 bulgur
- 1 can chick peas
- 2 cups sliced/chopped fresh vegetables of your choice
- favorite seasonings or salt and pepper
- Cook the bulgur. Add 3 cups boiling water, along with a big pinch of salt, and simmer, partly covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, until the grains are soft and the water is absorbed.
- Dump the grains into a salad bowl, add the chickpeas and dress it all with the juice of one lemon, several pinches of salt, a glug of olive oil and a pinch each of cumin and cayenne. Do this while the bulgur is still warm, tasting as you go. Add a squirt of and any citrus fruit for a extra special fresh flavor. A drizzle of balsamic vinegar would do just as well.
- When the bulgur is cool and nicely seasoned, stir in a couple of sliced scallions (or a large shallot or about ¼ cup sliced onion) and a cup or so of minced herbs — any herbs such as dill, cilantro, parsley and mint, chopping up the tender stems too.
- Then add the vegetables. Try cucumber, radishes cherry tomatoes, carrots, celery, bell peppers, cabbage, or any of your other favorites. You’ll need about 2 cups total. Lightly steamed asparagus or broccoli are good too.
- The fresh vegetables add freshness and lighten up the starchiness of the grains and beans.
- Here’s a trick from Melissa Clark of the New York Times: While the vegetables are still on the cutting board, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, and some dried oregano if you like. Then, after a minute, drizzle them with more lemon juice before tossing into the bowl. This seasons them separately and thoroughly in the easiest way possible.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.