Wheat Berry Salad
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup whole wheat berries
- pinch of salt
- 16 Kalamata olives pitted and chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 small green or red pepper coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano or 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme or 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring water to boil in large pot. Add wheat berries to water, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender with just a bite. Drain berries in a colander and transfer them to a large serving bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- This dish can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.