Vegetable and Bulgur Wheel of Good Fortune
- 1 cup #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth – low salt
- 4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh chives (chopped)
- 8 tortillas ( spinach or wheat)
- 7 oz. container fresh hummus
- 1 medium zucchini (peel skin off, cut lengthwise into thin slices)
- 1 cucumber (peel skin off, cut lengthwise into thin slices)
- 1 – 8 oz jar roasted red bell peppers
- 1 container feta cheese (crumbled)
- 16 large spinach leaves
- 1 small container plain yogurt
- Perfect fit for a creative twist on an appetizer that is found at many parties. A good way to get whole grains into the beginning of a meal.
- Toast lightly in a nonstick skillet the bulgur wheat over medium heat (stirring constantly until golden brown). Pour bulgur wheat in to hot chicken broth (slowly), stir only once; cover – bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let liquid absorb until the bulgur wheat is al dente. Remove cover and let cool.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and chopped chives in a small bowl and mix. Add to bulgur wheat and mix.
- Lay tortillas on a work surface and spread a thin layer of the hummus mixture over each tortilla. Down the center of each tortilla, spread evenly bulgur wheat, zucchini, cucumber, pepper and chives; sprinkle feta cheese and top with spinach, dividing evenly among all tortillas. Roll up tightly into a log; spread edges of tortilla lightly with yogurt. Wrap with plastic wrap and twist ends to secure.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours until firm; unwrap the log and slice it into 1-1/2 inch rounds.
- Serve as a finger food for appetizers.
Per Serving Nutrition Info: 150 cal; (5g from fat); 5g total fat; (1g sat fat); 5g prot; 21g total carb; 0mg chol; 370mg sod; 2g fiber; 1g sugar
Nutritional analysis for these recipes may vary slightly depending on choice of ingredients.