Steak and Tomato Bulgur Salad
- 1 cups #2 Medium Bulgur or #3 Coarse Bulgur
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 oz skirt steak thinly sliced against the grain
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms stemmed and chopped
- 1 bunch kale stems finely chopped and leaves torn (6oz)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes chopped (about 4)
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook the Bulgur: For #2 Medium bulgur bring 2 cups water to a boil, add the bulgur, stir and cover, cook for 15 minutes; For #3 Medium bulgur bring 2 ¼ cups water to a boil, add the bulgur, stir and cover, cook for 20 minutes. Drain well; transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Season the steak with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until browned, 2 minutes. Add to the bulgur.
- Add the mushrooms, kale stems, and garlic to the skillet. Cook, stirring until softened, 3 minutes. Stir in the kale leaves until wilted, 1 minute. Season with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add to the bulgur, along with the lemon juice, tomatoes, and basil and mix well.