Southwestern Tabbouleh Salad
- 1 cup Sunnyland #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth – low salt
- 1/2 cup red onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 15 oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 11 oz. can sweet corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (minced)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (cut into quarters)
- 1 tbs. freshly squeezed lime
- 2 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon
- 2-3 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili pepper
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
- A little spice in the form of Jalapeno is a great way to jump-start the taste buds. Spicy and satisfying, this recipe will be a hit at backyard parties and cookouts.
- Toast the bulgur wheat lightly in a nonstick skillet over medium heat (stirring constantly until golden brown). Pour bulgur wheat into hot chicken broth (very slowly), stir only once; cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let liquid absorb until the bulgur wheat is al dente. Remove cover and let cool.
- In a small bowl, add dressing ingredients and whisk together. Combine all the above ingredients in a large bowl and toss dressing – chill.
- Let the flavors marry! Make 6 hours before or 1 day ahead and refrigerate.
Per Serving Nutrition Info: 200 cal; (50 from fat) 6g total fat; (1g sat fat); 7g prot; 32g total carb; 0mg chol; 460mg sod; 8g fiber; 4g sugar
Nutritional analysis for these recipes may vary slightly depending on choice of ingredients.