Oatmeal Cracked KAMUT® Khorasan Bulgur Wheat Bread
Servings 3 loaves
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2 1/2 cups warm water about 110 degrees
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons light molasses
- 1/2 cup #3 coarse Organic KAMUT® Khorasan Bulgur Wheat Bulgur
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
- In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water and let stand about 5 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour; beat until well moistened. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until bubbly, at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours. To this sponge add the bulgur, rolled oats, wheat germ, sugar, molasses, and salt.
- To mix with a dough hook: Stir until well combined, then add 2 1/2 cups more all-purpose flour and beat on high speed for about 8 minutes, then add more flour, 2 tablespoons at a time, until dough pulls cleanly from side of bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- To mix by hand: Beat sponge mixture until stretchy and well moistened. Stir in 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough. Scrape dough out onto a floured board and knead, adding as little flour as possible to prevent sticking until dough is smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Either way, let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch down dough and let rest 10 minutes; cover with plastic wrap. Divide dough into 3 equal portions; shape each into a loaf and place in a well-greased 4 by 8-inch loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven until loaves are browned and sound hollow when lightly tapped, 35 - 40 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks and let cool completely.