Oatmeal and Bulgur Bread
Servings 2 loaves
- 2-1/4 cups warm water
- 1 packet packet dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp. raw turbinado sugar or brown sugar
- 2/3 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 cups all purpose flour
For the dough:
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup raw turbinado sugar or brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- approx. 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Sponge: In a large bowl, pour the warm water then sprinkle the dry yeast, sugar and bulgur wheat over surface of the water; let stand 5 minutes. Add the flour and beat hard until well moistened and creamy, about 2 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until foamy (about an hour).
- Dough: To the sponge, add the rolled oats, wheat bran, sugar, oil and salt. Beat hard for 1 minute. Add additional flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This may take approximately 2-1/2 cups of flour to accomplish.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (add flour 1 Tbsp. at a time if it's too sticky; it may also help if you lightly flour your hands as well). Once done, place dough in a deep plastic bowl greased with canola oil; turn it once to coat with the oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until doubled - about 1-1/2 hours.
- Gently deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Grease a baking sheet with oil, divide dough into 2 equal portions and form into round loaves. Place on the baking sheet and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size (about 45 minutes).
- 20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a serrated knife, gently slash the top of the loaves (no more than 1/4 inch deep). Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake 35-40 minutes or until the loaves are browned and sound hollow when you tap on them. Let cool completely before slicing.