Middle Eastern Tahini, Date and Cardamom Bulgur Wheat Breakfast Bake
- 2 cups #3 coarse Bulgur Wheat
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar or lightly packed light brown sugar
- 4 cups milk
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tsp. Middle Eastern Cake Spice Mix see note
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup pitted chopped dates (see note)
- Tahini or butter to grease the casserole dish
- 3 tbsp. chopped raw pistachios
- 3 tbsp. honey
- Add the bulgur wheat, coconut palm sugar, milk, tahini, cake spice mix, salt and cardamom to a medium saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a simmer over medium heat and then simmer/gently boil for 5 minutes, continuing to stir constantly. Remove from heat, cover the saucepan and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cold water, vanilla, eggs, and dates. Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan (or a somewhat equivalent dish) with tahini or butter; pour in the bulgur mixture, cover the dish with foil and refrigerate 12 hours or up to 3 days before you want to serve.
- An hour before you want to serve this dish, preheat the oven to 400F. Put the cold casserole dish (straight from the fridge, still covered with foil) into the oven once the oven is up to temperature. Cook the casserole until it's warm throughout and starting to slightly brown on top, about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pistachios and honey on top and serve hot.
Middle Eastern Cake Spice Mix (Baharat Kaak): If you don’t have this spice mix, the flavor won’t be quite the same, but you can substitute 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg and 1/8 tsp. ground cloves.