Mediterranean Freekeh Tabbouleh
- 1-1/2 cups #3 Coarse Organic Freekeh Bulgur
- 2 cups boiling chicken broth low salt
- 1 large large ripe tomato diced
- 1/2 English cucumber diced (cut cucumber in half, spoon out seeds)
- 1/2 cup diced green onions whites and greens
- 15-1/2 oz. can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup currants soaked in warm water for 10 min. and drained
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp. tsp. salt
- A few pinches dried cayenne pepper
- A few pinches ground cinnamon
- Toast the Organic Freekeh Bulgur lightly in a non-stick skillet over medium heat (stirring constantly until golden brown). Pour Freekeh into hot chicken broth (very slowly), stir only once, cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let liquid absorb until the Freekeh is al dente. Remove cover and let cool before combining all the above ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over vegetables; toss until well coated then add toasted pine nuts; cover and chill.
- Let the flavors marry! Make 6 hours before or 1 day ahead and refrigerate.