Lamb Tabbouleh in a Pita
- 1 cup Sunnyland #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth - low salt
- 1 tsp. seasoning for lamb mixture 1/4 tsp. paprika, 1/8 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1/8 tsp. dried oregano, 1/8 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- 1 cup sliced and chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced and chopped zucchini
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tbs. salt
- 1/2 tbs. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup pine nuts - lightly toasted and chopped
- 1 cup seeded and finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup mint - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion - sliced whites and greens
- 6 wheat pita breads 12 oz.
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 tbs. fresh lemon juices
- 4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs. spicy - sweet chili paste found in Asian section of the grocery store
- This recipe is a show stopper! Your guests will think you are a genius to marry the exotic flavors the way this recipe does.
- Toast the bulgur wheat lightly in a nonstick skillet (stirring constantly until golden brown). Pour bulgur wheat into hot chicken broth (very slowly), stir only once; cover; bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let liquid absorb until the bulgur wheat is al dente. Remove cover and let cool
- In a small bowl combine and mix seasoning for lamb. In a nonstick skillet heat the oil over medium heat; add seasoning to lamb and cook; stir and chop until no longer pink. Put lamb mixture in a food processor and give a quick chop. Add the onions, zucchini, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper; cook and stir until soft then add the toasted chopped pine nuts and bulgur wheat; mix. Add tomatoes, parsley, mint and green onions.
- In a small bowl mix extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice together. Mix all the ingredients together and serve warm.
- Let the flavors marry! Make 6 hours before or 1 day ahead and refrigerate.
- Open wheat pita pocket bread and line with romaine leaf then fill pita halves with the mixture. Makes a great appetizer! Serve in a bowl surrounded by lettuce cups (live gourmet butter lettuce or romaine leaves).
Per Serving Nutrition Info: 540 cal; (230 from fat); 25g total fat (7g sat fat); 26g prot; 55g total carb; 55mg chol; 860mg sod; 10g fiber; 4g sugar Nutritional analysis for these recipes may vary slightly depending on choice of ingredients.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.