Italian Grano Stuffing (Grano Ripieno)
- 1 1/2 cups grano or Pearled Soft White Wheat ND
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups snipped dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur or orange juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Combine 12 cups water, salted as you would for pasta, and Grano in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, until Grano is tender but still chewy, about 30-35 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and celery in hot margarine or butter until tender. Stir in apricots, raisins, chicken broth, cinnamon, coriander, cumin and cloves. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add drained and cooled Grano, nuts and orange liqueur or juice; toss gently. Use stuffing to stuff a 10 to 12 pound turkey. Place any remaining stuffing in a covered casserole; bake alongside turkey the last 30 minutes of roasting. (Or, transfer all of the stuffing to a 2 1/2 quart casserole; bake, covered, in a 375° F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated through.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.