Italian Grano Pilaf
- 1 1/2 cups grano or Pearled Soft White Wheat ND
- 12 cups boiling water
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 basil leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- black pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- roma tomatoes optional
- zucchini optional
- Combine 12 cups water, salted as you would for pasta, and Grano in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, until Grano is tender but still chewy, about 30-35 minutes. Drain well.
- In a skillet, sauté garlic in olive oil. Before the garlic browns, add Grano and basil. Heat on medium for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer mixture from skillet to serving bowl. Add oregano, butter and pepper. Mix well. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve hot.
- OPTIONAL: dice roma tomatoes and/or zucchini and sauté with garlic in pan.