Greens and Grano (Verdurata de Grano)
- 3/4 cup grano or Pearled Soft White Wheat ND
- 4 zucchini
- 4 carrots
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 1/4 pound string beans
- 1/2 pound freshly shelled cannellini beans or other fresh beans
- Whatever other greens strike your fancy
- 1/2 pound pancetta diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 a shredded hot pepper or more to taste go easy
- olive oil
- Combine 6 cups water, salted as you would for pasta, and Grano in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, until Grano is tender but still chewy, about 30-35 minutes. Drain well.
- Chop all the vegetables into bite-sized pieces and boil or steam them, then combine with Grano in a bowl.
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a skillet and sauté the diced pancetta, crushed garlic and hot pepper. When the mixture has colored, add 1 tablespoon of water, and stir the mixture into the Grano bowl. Serve hot; this works well as a one-course meal or as an accompaniment to grilled meats. It will also work well as picnic food, though you will want to serve it cool at this point.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.