Grano with Smoked Chicken & Sun Dried Tomatoes (Grano di Pollo e Pomodoro)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
- 4 oz. mushrooms cut in sixths
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups grano or Pearled Soft White Wheat ND
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3 oz. thinly sliced smoked chicken or turkey pastrami cut in thin strips about 3/4 cup strips
- Salt and ground pepper
- Combine 12 cups water, salted as you would for pasta, and Grano in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, until Grano is tender but still chewy, about 30-35 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat oil in saucepan, add onion, and sauté over medium heat about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté about 3 minutes. Add drained Grano and sauté lightly. Add stock, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, cayenne, and dried basil, if using, and bring to a boil. Cover and cook 10 minutes over low heat. Add corn and peas, stir lightly, and cook covered for 5 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in chicken and let stand to heat through. Add basil. Taste and adjust seasoning.