Grano with Fava Beans (Grano di Fave)
- 1 1/2 cups grano or Pearled Soft White Wheat ND
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb. fresh fava beans shelled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced seeded tomato
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine 12 cups water, salted as you would for pasta, and Grano in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, until Grano is tender but still chewy, about 30-35 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Toast the pine nuts for about 7 minutes, or until golden. If using fresh fava beans, blanch them in a small saucepan of boiling water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Peel off the tough skins.
- Drain the Grano. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the fava beans, tomato, garlic, dates, lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours to allow the flavors to blend. Stir in the cilantro and pine nuts.