Grano Salad with Peas, Favas, Arugula and Tomatoes (Grano di Verdure)
- 16 cups boiling water
- 2 cups grano or Pearled Soft White Wheat ND
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup shelled fresh fava beans or frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen peas
- 6 basil leaves slivered
- 2 cups fresh arugula leaves halved
- 3 plum tomatoes seeded, finely chopped, roma
- Additional arugula leaves
- Combine 16 cups water, salted as you would for pasta, and Grano in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, until Grano is tender but still chewy, about 30-35 minutes. Drain well.
- Whisk oil and vinegar in large bowl. Season with salt. Add Grano; toss. Cool.
- Meanwhile, cook fava beans in pot of boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Add peas and cook until just tender, about 1 minute longer. Drain. Cool in bowl of ice water. Drain. Add fava beans and peas to Grano. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
- Add basil, arugula and tomatoes to Grano mixture. Toss to combine. Season generously with salt. Spoon salad onto platter. Garnish with additional arugula.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.