Grano and Pasta Pilaf
- 10 cups water salted
- 1-1/4 cups grano or Pearled Soft White Wheat ND
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 2 cups sliced fresh shitake or button mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 14-1/2 oz can pasta-style chunky tomatoes undrained
- 1 8- oz cab low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon instant beef or chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed crushed
- Dash grown red pepper
- For pilaf, combine 10 cups water, salted as you would for pasta, and Grano in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring frequently, for a total of about 30-35 minutes. After 20 minutes, add the orzo, and continue cooking for another 10 minutes or more until Grano and orzo are tender. Drain off excess liquid. Cover to keep warm. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan cook mushrooms and carrots, covered, in a small amount of boiling water until carrots are crisp-tender. Drain.
- Stir undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, bouillon granules, fennel seed, and ground red pepper into the mushroom mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer sauce, uncovered, about 25 minutes, or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, spoon pilaf onto dinner plates. Spoon sauce over.
- Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens recipe.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.