Fruited Bulgur Salad
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 4 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups dried apricots
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups #3 coarse bulgur
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups currants
- 1 tbsp. olive or salad oil
- 4 cups regular strength chicken broth
- In a frying pan, stir nuts often over medium hear until golden brown--3 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan; set aside. Coarsely chop 1 cup apricots; set aside. Pour oil into a 12 inch frying pan over medium heat. Add bulgur; stir often until it turns a slightly darker brown--8 to 10 minutes. Add broth, lemon peel, and lemon juice to pan. Bring to a boil on high heat. Cover and simmer until grain is just tender to bite--10 to 15 minutes. Drain any liquid from bulgur. Stir chopped apricots and 1 cup currants into bulgur. Let stand until cool. Mound salad in center of a large rimmed platter. Garnish with remaining apricots, currants and nuts.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.