Edamame Bulgur Salad
- 2 cups #2 medium or #3 coarse bulgur wheat
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium yellow squash sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- a little olive oil for grilling the zucchini and squash
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cup frozen shelled edamame thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves chopped
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- juice of one lemon
- Place bulgur in a large bowl and cover with the water; allow the bulgur to soak for one hour.
- While bulgur is soaking, brush the zucchini and yellow squash with a light coating of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and grill for 3-5 minutes, flip and cook for 3-5 minutes on the other side or until the zucchini and squash are soft and marked by the grill. Remove from the heat to allow the zucchini and squash to cool completely and then chop them coarsely.
- Drain the soaked bulgur and place it in a large bowl. Add the chopped, grilled zucchini, squash, edamame, mint, parsley, spinach, green onions, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Stir to combine and enjoy!
Each serving: 318 calories, 109 calories from fat, 12.1g total fat, 1.6g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 32.7 mg sodium, 46.8g carbohydrates, 12.6g dietary fiber, 11.9g protein.